Sunday, September 26, 2010

Breakfast at Dixie Quicks: Yes Please!


I had often heard tales of the fantastic Dixie Quicks and their amazing food, but had somehow never managed to eat there. Mostly because I had no idea where it was. It wasn't until Eric and I were driving down Leavenworth Street a few weeks ago that I happened to notice their little window sign. That set the plan in motion to go have some good eats down at Dixie Quicks.




Dixie Quicks Magnolia Room
1915 Leavenworth St.
(402) 346-3549
www.dixiequicks.com


Two Sunday's ago (obviously my goal to post weekly still hasn't worked out) I felt the need to go out for breakfast, like I do almost every Sunday. We decided it was a perfect morning to try the infamous Dixie Quicks. Luckily, Eric knew the "rules", and was able to get us in. Yes that's right, there are rules to abide by before you get to dive into the deliciousness. Really, they just very strongly recommend that you have a reservation, because they have very limited space. If they are full with a full reservation list, you may be turned away. There are a few other minor rules, all really deal with reservations, you can find a full list on their website.

Now that we were armed with our reservation, we were ready to go. We headed down Leavenworth Street and pulled up in front of the very non-descript building. There is no sign, so you really kind of need to know where your going. Walking in, there is a small reception area, which leads into the dinning room. We were asked if we would like to sit inside or out, and since it was a glorious day, we opted to sit on the patio.

Because they buy all their ingredients fresh daily, there are no paper menu's, but rather a large calk board in the dining room. Their menu consists of mostly southern style cooking with a lot of Cajun and Southwest influence. I decided to go for the Eggs Blackstone with a side of the home fries. The Blackstone is basically just Eggs Benedict with bacon instead of ham. The dish came out looking so beautiful, and it tasted amazing. The eggs were cooked perfectly and the hollandaise sauce was so buttery and rich. The bacon was wonderfully crispy and added just the right amount of saltiness. Oh and those potatoes. Cooked just the way I like them and seasoned perfectly. No need for salt or pepper on anything. I could not of asked for a better breakfast!
 

Eric went for the Chiliquilles. In all honesty, I don't even know what a Chiliquilles is. But I think it must be Mexican for Delicious! I'm really not even sure how to describe the way it tasted. Imagine... Mexican Lasagna. That's the best thing I can come up with to compare it too, so that's what I'm going with. Anyway, it tasted amazing. Eric loved it, and kept stealing bites off his plate. :)

From the time we took our first bites we knew almost right away that all the hype that Dixie Quicks has received is well deserved. It's no surprise that they have been featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives as well as several local and national magazines. The chiefs have truly mastered the art of great food. Eric's thoughts; he's pretty sure he has a new favorite breakfast spot... I can't say that I disagree. In fact after writing this review and revisiting the menu online, I'm pretty sure I'll be having breakfast there next weekend. I'm feeling the need to try the Cactus Scramble.




No comments:

Post a Comment